Fleeing Temptation: Escaping to a life free of Pornography and other addiction
Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.
- Run don't walk away from this temptation.
- Figure out when are your weak points, and AVOID THEM like the plague.
- It may be a time of day, a place, etc whatever it is, you need to avoid the settings you find yourself accessing pornography.
- Kill your TV.
- Seriously, kill it. Tons of crap on there, you don't need to be seeing if you are recovering.
Retrain the Brain
Matt. 18:7-9 “Woe to the world for temptations to sin!For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the one by whom the temptation comes! And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire.
- The more you dwell on it, the more you will think of it, the more you stumble…
- Go back to my post on Porn and the Brain. The longer you've been in this, the more retraining you need. Yes you may stumble (a few times), but keep at it and working to replace these addictions with other activities.
- DO something else, pray, read the Bible (install apps on your phone, tablet, computers)
- Exercise, eat right.
- Install software to block these sights, give the passwords to someone else, your wife, accountability partner, pastor?
- Whatever else you need to do to escape and “cut off the things that make you sin” DO IT
Be where you need to be
- Read the story of Potiphar's wife in Genesis 39 and David and Bathsheba in 2 Samuel 11. Being where you need to be will help you not stumble. David (the king) was still at home in the season where “Kings go off to war.” If he was where he needed to be… that whole thing might not have happened.
- Find safe places to go when you are stumbling. An accountability partner to commisserate with, a gym to work out in. Just don't stay in a secluded place and fight it yourself when it is coming on strong.
Remember the ABC's
- Antecedents Lead to Behaviors Lead to Consequences
- Antecedents are those things that set you up, your environment, your emotional state, your thought life, your prayer and devotional life… all set the table.
- When I'm dieting I don't stock ice cream in the fridge… because when it is there it is GONE! Do whatever it takes to set yourself up for success.
- Behavior —
- Pornography, masturbation and dwelling online on these activities (cyber sex) lead to a progression… lighter stuff leads to heaver… in all forms of sexual activity (its the way the brain is WIRED).
- There is no handling it… you access it, it PWNS you!
- If in ministry, especially one around teens, you need to get out and get well. Mixing those environments is an explosive mix that will do major harm to you, the teens and the ministry of God. Bow out gracefully and get help!
- This is already destroying your marriage and/or other relationships you have with members of the opposite sex. (you just might not realize it yet)
- Check my post on the Impact this has on your wife for more info.